Porcelain veneers, also known as dental porcelain laminates or dental veneers, are custom-made wafer-thin shells of tooth-colored materials. They improve the appearance of your teeth by covering the front surface and restoring their structure and color. These restorations are fixed to the front teeth.
What are Porcelain Veneers Used For?
The application of porcelain veneers fixes several dental concerns:
- Porcelain veneers are used to restore discolored teeth as a result of stains, large resin fillings, root canal treatment, or other causes.
- Porcelain veneers are used to fix worn down, chipped, or broken teeth, thus restoring their appearance.
- Uneven, misaligned, or irregular teeth can also be shaped using porcelain veneers.
- Porcelain veneers close the gap between excessively spaced teeth.
What is the Procedure of Dental Veneers?
On the first visit, our dentist will study your case, and the next visit will be scheduled to apply the veneers.
- Diagnosis and Planning of Treatment
Our dentist will examine your teeth to ensure that this procedure is suitable for you. X-rays may be taken to make an impression of your teeth and mouth.
- Preparation of the Veneer
The dentist will reshape the surface of your tooth to a nearly equal thickness of the veneer. We may administer local sedatives to numb the area before trimming the enamel. Next, the dentist will take an impression of your tooth and send it to the laboratory. After a few days, the veneers will be retrieved from the lab. In the meantime, our dentist will use a temporary porcelain veneer to protect your tooth.
In this step, we will place the veneer on your tooth to check if it goes with the color of the enamel and fits you well. The fitting and color can be adjusted accordingly. Now, your tooth will be prepared to receive this veneer by cleaning, polishing, and etching. A special dental adhesive will be applied to the veneer before placing it on the tooth. After positioning it well, they will use a special light beam to activate the adhesive and harden it. At last, we will remove excess adhesive, check your bite, and make needful adjustments.
What are the Benefits of Porcelain Veneers?
- Porcelain veneers provide a natural appearance to your tooth so that it matches with the other teeth.
- They are well tolerated by your gums and are resistant to stain.
- You can make your teeth look whiter by opting for this procedure.
- Porcelain veneers do not demand a lot of shaping. They are strong and better-looking.
Please reach out to our dental practice in Mission Viejo, CA, to have a consultation with our dentist, Dr. Lee. Please call us at (949) 380-0315 or schedule an online consultation, and we'll guide you further.